Sunday, March 21, 2010

So Jens from Google invites us to a party . . . .

Last Friday, March 12, on the day after my 50th b'day, something completely predictable happened. My friend Melissa W. and I arrived at the Interactive Conference at "South by"
in Austin. As I mentioned earlier, she is an exotic beauty. Me? I have always "relied on the kindness of strangers" who pity my bumbling ways. I don't do it on purpose--bumbling is a natural born talent. Like beauty only not nearly as aesthetically pleasing or valuable.

Anyway, we'd walked through the convention hall less than 30 seconds before a tall, bespectacled man stopped Melissa (big surprise) to ask for directions to Exhibit Hall 3. As she was pointing the way to go, Jens (pronounced "Yens," of course) tells us there's a big Google party Sunday night, and if we would be so kind to give him a business card, he'd e-mail us
the location.

I was excited, not because of the party, but because I'd purchased a very cool business card case
just a week ago in case this very opportunity should occur. I produced my card in less than ten seconds.

Jens could not have cared less.

He was completely oblivious as I proudly waved my card around like a tiny personal flag of independence. And it goes without saying, he didn't see the lovely Asian silk and metal carrying case I was so proud of. (Only $14.99 at World's Window. Suh-weet!) Jens was yearning for something else. His eyes were transfixed on the lovely Melissa who finally found her business card somewhere in her cavernous, but stylish, black bag.

"Thank you, Melissa," Jens said, taking her card. And as an obvious afterthought, he took mine from me. "Oh, and thank you . . . um . . ." he stared at my name tag although I'd introduced myself less than thirty seconds earlier.

"Renée. My name's Renée."

Oh, Insult and Injury, you will always be of my least favorite duos.

In the end, because neither Melissa nor I could access our e-mail during the trip (don't get me started), we missed out on the Google soirée. Poor Jens. He knows not what he missed.

More about "South by" tomorrow. Oh, it just gets better and better. As does being 50, so I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment